Skaliger Bridge (Castelvecchio Bridge)
The Castelvecchio Bridge also known as the Verona’s Scaliger Bridge connects the Verona’s late-medieval castle to the Adige’s left bank. It is described by the historian and author Valerio Massimo Manfredi as ‘the most beautiful, most medieval, most arched bridge of all time’. It was almost destroyed in a bombing and later fully rebuilt looking precisely similar to the original one, using as much as possible of the recovered materials.
The bombing happened on April 24, 1945, when the fleeing German troops blew up all of Verona’s bridges. The Castelvecchio Bridge had previously been built from 1354 to 1356 under the reign of Cangrande II Della Scala and had remained undamaged for at least five centuries. It was only in the nineteenth century that the French eliminated the walls and brought down a tower, while in 1848 Radetzky fixed it with mines but did not make them explode.
The Castelvecchio Bridge has always been magnificent, and a daring accomplishment of architecture up to this modern day with over 48 meters of arch indulging the currents, followed by two smaller ones that are 24 and 29 meters. Today it is old as well as new, but always splendid.