A document dating back to 1398 mentioned this little church. It was built on the site of Saint Francis’ family home, an important landmark for pilgrims retracing the footsteps of the saint. In 1610, for want of King Phillip III of Spain, a new Baroque church was built in place of the medieval one; however the façade, overlooking the piazza named after the church, remained very simple.
It is made of bricks with lesenes and two empty niches on its sides. The travertine doorway is surmounted by a triangular pediment and a rectangular window shedding light on the interior.
The Church has a Greek cross plan and a non-casual dome as the architect, while designing it, was inspired by the Roman Church of Sant’Eligio degli Orefici designed by Raphael.
Its interior is completely covered in frescos: painted pilasters imitate marble, Evangelists figures are depicted in the four pendentives, 17th century paintings, in the transept, narrate the life of Saint Francis. The canvas on the high altar dates back to 18th century.
The convent building, connected to the church, includes the building which was once Saint Francis’ family home; so it is possible to visit his room, his father’s shop storage area and an area below the staircase called “the prison” where his father locked Francis up to punish him for his decision to renounce everything.