San Michele in Borgo
The Church of San Michele in Borgo along with its monastery is one of the city's oldest surviving religious buildings. It was built in the late 10th and early 11th-centuries on the site of an ancient Roman temple dedicated to the war-like god, Mars.
The church that visitors see today is the result of many alterations and restorations over the centuries. These alterations saw a bell tower added in 1676, a re-build after an earthquake in 1846 and, more recently, post-war reconstruction.
Modern archaeological excavations have revealed a 13th-century brick road and monastery buildings from the same period along with several grain storage silos dating from the 5th to 17th-centuries. The exterior facade is from the 14th-century and features Pisano Gothic loggias while the understated interior consists of a nave and two aisles.
The church is home to a crucifix attributed to Nino Pisano and paintings by Baccio Lomi, Aurelio Lomi, Giuseppe Melani, and Matteo Rosselli. The underlying crypt probably formed part of an earlier church on the site.