Palazzo della Canonica
Although it now houses some university laboratories and is not open to the public, the exterior of the Palazzo della Canonica in the Piazza dei Cavalieri is worth a passing glance.
Giorgio Vasari's design for the palace brought together several older buildings already on the site. Starting in 1566, the palace's construction took forty years as men and resources were often diverted to work on the Church of Santo Stefano, also in the piazza.
The Palace was constructed as a place where clergy of the Knights of the Order of St. Stephen could live in comfort while they ministered to their flock.
Roman Catholic priests continued to live in the building up until the end of the 20th-century.