The Cathedral of Saint Gerland stands near the historic centre at the top of a flight of steps on the edge of a cliff. The church was founded in the Eleventh century by the bishop Gerland, who became the patron saint of the city. His remains are preserved in a silver box in the chapel within the cathedral and is one of the few relics to have survived both the onslaughts of time and the menace of theft.
From the vantage point of the passing of over two millennia, we have a marvellous retrospective view of the renovation the church has undergone over the centuries.
The unusual bell-tower which, though begun in the fifteenth century was never finished is worthy of note, as is the large Arab/Norman window frame, baroque balcony, and westerly painted wooden ceiling dating from 1518.
The height of the Presbytery renders the acoustics within the church truly formidable. A whisper below the entrance can be heard perfectly from the apse! The faithful would perhaps be wise to be careful when and where they make confession!