The Convento di San Domenico, built in 1353 and consecrated on October 2, 1396, is located near the walls, a few meters from the Porta Pisana.
Its life as a convent was relatively brief. Domenican monks remained there until 1787, when it was converted into a jail. It remained a place of punishment until 1992, when the prison was relocated.
Of the ancient structure, the typical alternations of closed and open spaces remain.