Civic Archaeological Museum
Built in 1400 as the former “Ospedale della Morte” the Palazzo Galvani is now home to the Archaeology Museum. It is the result of the merger of the university and municipal museums. It has more than 3,500 objects and one of the most important Italian archaeology collections.
It also has findings from Roman times related to local historypreistoria. The Egyptian antiquities section is one of the most important in Europe.
The materials from the excavations carried out in the 19th century and the first part of the 20th century in Bologna and the surrounding areas tell the story of Bologna from the 9th century BC Etruscan settlement through the founding of Felsina in the 6th century BC.
Among the findings that are not to be missed: the “situla della Certosa”, a refined bronze vessel decorated with a scenes from military, civil, and religious life; the statue with Emperor Nero’s armour from the 1st century AD; and in the courtyard, several milestones from the via Emilia.